I read it as Haysi..who the Vikes did try to schedule...ended up that Thomas Walker was the only team with the cajones to schedule the Vikes for that last slot.
I think Virginia High will beat Gate City because they have too much speed and their tight end/linebacker is one of the top 100 players in the state.
I couldn't give you the numbers on what Lebanon lost to graduation but Zac Jesse is gone and he was basically their entire team.
Even at 5-5 I think the Kelly fans would be disappointed. I'd say expectations are for a 7-3 or 6-4 season. It would be interesting to see what coaches would apply for the job. I'd love to see Saunders come back, but that will probably never happen.
The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.
I read it as Haysi..who the Vikes did try to schedule...ended up that Thomas Walker was the only team with the cajones to schedule the Vikes for that last slot.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
I doubt it would happen to Widespread. I tell you what, if they aren't happy with BI at Wise, I know of a place I would like to see him end up sometime in the near future.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
I'll be suprised if they lose to CW, it's possible but I really dont see it happening. CW is slow, and when it comes time to beat PV at what PV is the weakest at they go against PV's strength speed. I lost a lot of confidence in CW's coaching staff when they ran that trap.
[img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]
That is something that can be worked on in the summer though PVFAN. I think you will see a good matchup between PV/CW again this year. That trap, may turn into a dive, althought traps are CWs bread and butter.
I won't completely knock Haysi just in case they did have a game scheduled on PV's opening. If they didn't then, yes, I think it is poor judgement not to schedule PV then.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
From what I understand we didn't try to play them, I wouldn't try to play them either. They go out of their way to dodge people.
[img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]
A guy I work with from Bristol told me that Virginia High lost pretty much all of their skill players (with the exception of the tight end/linebacker you are referring to) and a good portion of their linemen. They'll still be tough though from what he said as they have some kids that can and will step up. I think the CMD will be very competitive this season with no clear front runner and it up for grabs.
Leave the DRAMA to the MAMA'S
I feel for Colley. Haysi's not the only school that could end up with just 9 games. In the past years ago : Ervinton didn't get a 10th game until after the season started; Grundy had to schedule Oak Hill, near Beckley; Graham & Bluefield had to play each other twice Bluefield only had 9 games last year if I rem. correctly. Dan River & Chatham are playing twice in 3 weeks this year.
Plus, Ky. did a major realignment this year and a bunch of schools had to re-do their schedules, which had to make it harder to pick up a new, out-of-state opponent.
Maybe Colley could get Mount View from over near Welch on 9/7 (they had to get an Ohio team for their 9th game) or the new team from Carlisle private school in Martinsville.
Don't know what happened that Hurley isn't playing Unaka (near Greeneville) this year, but the Rebels were replaced on Unaka's schedule with Matewan. Talk about a road trip - forgot about packing a lunch, the boys will need to pack a breakfast for that one.
The PV-TW date is the same night as Haysi-Ervinton, which was prob. already set. They don't have a common open date, so trying to move it would have been a mess.
It's hard to make an argument that a team couldn't schedule a game with a team they wanted to play with 12 weeks to work with. The VHSL gives teams 12 weeks to schedule 10 games. With the changes in the LPD, many teams had extra weeks open. The problem seems to be finding teams WILLING to play. As for the PV-Haysi situation (or lack thereof), a game between the 2 could have easily been scheduled. PV took Thomas Walker as a final option to fill a spot in week 7. PV moved Pound to the next to the last game of the year from the opening LPD game and thus started the scheduling process with weeks 2,3,4,7,10 (and 12 if they needed a game)to work with scheduling. Haysi had changes in weeks 1,3,4,7 (the week PV plays TW and Haysi scheduled Ervinton),8,10,11,and 12 from the 2006 schedule to the 2007 schedule. The common weeks altered between both teams from last year were weeks 3,4,7,10 and 12. So, if both parties had wanted to play it would have happened. But...
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
Man Helper, I thought Unaka was crazy for scheduling Hurley, but dang, why not schedule a Pennsylvania team in two years when these contracts run out. I guess they don't want to try and find a team in TN, or in NC that would be a lot closer, or that they may face in the playoffs.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Bookmarks